Monday 12 August 2013

Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare wins silver medal at IAAF



Blessing Okagbare got Nigeria’s first medal at the IAAF World Championships in Moscow on Sunday after leaping 6.99 metres in the women’s long jump to finish second behind USA’s Brittney Reese (7.01), who became the first woman to win three long jump titles at the world championships.

It was Nigeria’s first medal since 1999 when Gloria Alozie won silver in the women’s 100m hurdles and Francis Obikwelu won bronze in the men’s 200m at Seville, Spain.

Okagbare said, “I give glory to the almighty God, I thank Him for everything, I also thank Him for using me because he could have used anybody, I thank Him for using me. I also thank all members of my family, friends and relations for their support.
“It’s actually harder than people think because this is a big stage. I was focussed on my jumps and didn’t get distracted.” She added.
Congratulations !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment